Open Talent Pathways Program
MID’s Open Talent Pathways program gives research students at the Masters and PhD level at RMIT and the University of Melbourne the opportunity to embark on their first journey in the startup ecosystem.
Applications are currently closed. To be notified about the next cohort, please express your interest here.
Successful applicants will be introduced to entrepreneurial tools and approaches, empowered to find and develop their own startup idea and grow their network in the innovation ecosystem. Co-developed by the MID partners, the program will
- provide research students with inspiration and the core skills of the entrepreneur,
- see participants explore problem spaces in the HealthTech and SportsTech sectors,
- give students the opportunity to apply their skills and entrepreneurial concepts to develop and test their own startup ideas, and
- see participants live the entrepreneurial experience through OTP- and partner-facilitated workshops and “open door” sessions, collaborative startup projects to explore problem spaces and solutions, and a final design sprint to amplify the potential of their startup idea and prepare for applications to later-stage accelerator programs at our partner organisations.
Approximately 35 students will have the opportunity to join the free program and receive entrepreneurship education as well as coaching and mentoring from industry- and academic experts to activate their entrepreneurial potential. Workshops with our program partners at RMIT’s Activator, the University of Melbourne’s TRaM, Antler, Startupbootcamp, and the Medtech Actuator will shed light on key entrepreneurial approaches and prepare participants for applying to later-stage accelerator programs. Research students from RMIT and the University of Melbourne across all disciplines are invited to apply.
To keep participants, facilitators, speakers and partners healthy in the current environment, the program is delivered remotely via a dedicated learning platform. Workshops, coaching, founder sessions, site visits and any other sessions that would normally happen face-to-face are conducted via Zoom using a variety of tools, such as virtual whiteboards and breakout rooms. We are taking this situation as a learning opportunity and are striving to deliver engaging content in an exciting new format. At the same time, we will watch the situation closely and are aiming to return to hybrid mode of delivery when it is appropriate.
The next cohort is scheduled for early 2021. The program runs for 12 weeks with a time commitment of one day per week with some intensive workshops and some distributed team/individual work.
After submitting your expression of interest via the link below, we will invite eligible candidates via an application form to provide insight on their experience, outlook and drive. As this is a critical element of the application process, please ensure you demonstrate your specific capabilities – whether technical, managerial, creative or otherwise – and the passion and energy that you can bring to the program.
To be notified when applications open, express your interest here.
- to develop core entrepreneurial skills and understand problem spaces,
- to get a taste of the entrepreneur’s experience through completing your own startup project with a team of like-minded people,
- to develop solutions that fit with the broader Health- and SportsTech market and ecosystem, and
- to develop a validated concept, pitch and set of next steps, such as an application for later-stage accelerator programs, via a final design sprint.
Unlike for other offerings in this space, this program is an investment in the person and their skills. As such, participants do not need a startup idea or team to be accepted to the program, but will be introduced to focus industry sectors in which to apply their knowledge and skills.
OTP’s delivery partners: